I AM SO IMPRESSED!
So many of you on the GOLO plan have set GOALS and achieved amazing results! Seeing this just drives home how important creating specific GOALS are to accomplishing what we want. With the New Year starting just days away, we are all thinking about the coming year and what we want to accomplish in 2017. It’s an exciting time and everyone is motivated to make great things happen in the coming year.
Here are some great strategies for creating your goals for 2017:
- Make a list of all of the things that you would like to accomplish. Just brainstorm with yourself and write everything down that comes to mind.
- Choose the top 3 things-what are the goals that are the most exciting or compelling to you? How will you feel when you accomplish them? Are they things that you want to do or things that you feel you should do? The goals that you are most likely to stick to are the ones that you want to do and are excited about. Also, this narrows it down. Often times people choose too many goals and feel overwhelmed.
- Once you have your top 3, get really clear and specific about what you want to accomplish. If you say, “I want to start working out and get in shape,” your goal is too vague. A more specific goal would be, “I will work out 3 to 4 days/week.”
- Start with the end goal in mind. It is important to start with what you want to achieve at the end and work backwards until you get to now. What are the things that will have to happen in order for you to achieve your goal? Make a list for each of your goals. If your goal is to work out 3 to 4 days/week, then what are the things that have to happen in order for you to achieve this goal? If you are new to exercising, you may need to purchase appropriate shoes and clothing, choose an activity, figure out a time in your schedule to fit it in etc.
- Break each goal into smaller (more manageable) pieces. Many people fail because they choose the all or nothing approach. They think that the first week they have to be at the gym 3 to 4 times/week to start out. It is often easier to integrate your goal one small step at a time. You may want to start off with 2 times/week and then add a 3rd day and then a 4th day over time or start with walking 10 minutes each day and work your way up to 30 minutes. The main point is to do things slowly so that you do not get discouraged. If this is a lifestyle change, it can take time. Remember that real change takes time.
- Other helpful tips for setting goals.
- Be as clear as you can with as much detail and measurable steps as you can. You could start with measurable goals such as working out 2 times/week for the first month and increasing the amount of time each week. Your goals would be working out Tuesday and Friday for 10 minutes the first week, 15 or 20 minutes the nest week and so on. This gives you small goals that are measurable.
- Write the goals down. This helps to create your intentions and gives your goals more momentum.
- Celebrate each accomplishment along the way. Find a reward that is satisfying to you. These will remind you how close you are getting to your goals.
Thinking about the New Year ahead and all of the things that you want to accomplish is fun and exciting. Make yourself a priority in 2017 and set goals that are creative and fun, that make you feel good and get you to where you really want to go-not where you think you should go.