Creating More Joy In Your Life
At this time of year, we hear about the joy of the holiday season, we sing about joy, and we even send cards wishing people joy, but are we really feeling joy or happiness in our lives now or anytime of the year? If answered no, you are not alone. Because of our protective survival instincts, our brains are strongly inclined to notice and retain negative experiences over positive ones. If we want to experience joy and happiness in our lives on a regular basis, then we have to deliberately set our intention on experiencing it. Here are some ways that you can get “joyously” started.
- JUST DECIDE TO FEEL GOOD, TO FEEL JOY AND HAPPINESS. It is our choice. We can make a conscious decision to feel joy. We might have to push those conditioned negative thoughts away, but it is possible retrain our brains over time to have more positive thoughts. Some great affirmations to help you get in the right frame of mind are:
- I am choosing to feel good
- I am finding joy in all of my experiences
Just repeat them over and over until you feel yourself shift into joy and happiness.
- TELL A DIFFERENT STORY. What story are we telling ourselves and other people about our lives? Is it a story about all of the stress and things that are going wrong? Or is it a story about the great things that are happening?
- Next time you run into a friend and they ask you how you are or what is happening in your life, pay attention to the story that you tell them. What are you focusing on? How does it make you feel? Do you feel good, happy, joy?? Yes, we all have stress and troubles in our lives, but it doesn’t have to be what we focus on.
- You can write a new story. Sit down and write down all of the positive things that you are happening in your life. There is always something to be thankful for. Let that be the story that you are telling. It will feel so much better!
- IMAGINE HAPPINESS AND JOY. See yourself as being joyful and happy. Any activity, when performed repeatedly, like imagining yourself happy, has an impact on our neural structures. Each day, deliberately imagine yourself being happy. Picture yourself in situations that make you feel good and give you the joyful experiences that you want. By doing this, you will be encouraging changes in your brain that will predispose you to creating more real-life joy in your daily life.
- Try this great exercise to start creating more joy in your life: Sit down in a comfortable chair and take 5 deep breaths. Imagine yourself truly joyful and happy. What are you doing? Where are you? Who are you with? Really feel the joy. Remember this scene and how you feel in your body. Practice this every day or at least a few times a week. Over time you should start to notice a positive difference in your thoughts and feelings.
- SEEK THE GOOD IN OTHERS. Look for the best in others. By seeing something good in someone else (instead of negative), we are empowering and uplifting that person as well as ourselves. This can drastically improve our interactions with others because we are not getting hung up on the things that we don’t like or that annoy us.
- Try this for a week to help improve your interactions with the people you:
- Decide that you are going to look for the good in everyone that you come in contact with including yourself. See that in each person the positive qualities that you admire. You can find at least one good thing in everyone. Notice how this makes you feel about others? How do you feel about yourself and your experiences?
Creating more joy and happiness in our lives is truly a choice that we can make. It is really just a shift in the way we approach our lives and the people in it. Make the effort; it will change your life!